Charter School Institute
We are fortunate to be authorized by the Charter School Institute.
The mission of the Charter School Institute is to foster high-quality public school choices offered through Institute charter schools that deliver rigorous academic content and high academic performance in a safe environment and on par with the highest performing schools, particularly including schools for at-risk students.
CSI believes that promoting a variety of successful and innovative educational designs is paramount to expanding and enhancing school choice within the state of Colorado. CSI currently authorizes 35 charter schools across the state, with enrollment of more than 11,500 students with six schools joining our portfolio next year. Their aspiration is to authorize quality charter schools that focus on excellence in student achievement, sound finances and governance, and sustainability.
The mission of the Charter School Institute shall be to foster high-quality public school choices offered through Institute charter schools that deliver rigorous academic content and high academic performance in a safe environment and on par with the highest performing schools, including particularly schools for at-risk students.
Public Charter Schools
A charter school operates within a public school district and is open to all eligible students within that district.
CHARTER SCHOOLS ARE PUBLIC SCHOOLS. THEY ARE:
- Public, nonsectarian, nonreligious, non-home-based schools.
- Non-selective in enrollment. There are no admission tests or admissions requirements.
- Often designed to serve under-served populations.
- Appealing to students whose needs are not being met by traditional schools.
Legislation allowing for the creation of Colorado charter schools was passed under The Colorado Charter Schools Act.
The Charter Schools Act states that:
It is the obligation of all Coloradans to provide all children with schools that reflect high expectations and create conditions in all schools where these expectations can be met……Different pupils learn differently and public school programs should be designed to fit the needs of individual pupils and that there are educators, citizens, and parents in Colorado who are willing and able to offer innovative programs, educational techniques, and environments but who lack a channel through which they can direct their innovative efforts.
Purposes of this Act:
- To improve pupil learning by creating schools with high, rigorous standards for pupil performance;
- To increase learning opportunities for all pupils, with special emphasis on expanded learning experiences for pupils who are identified as academically low-achieving;
- To encourage diverse approaches to learning and education and the use of different, innovative, research-based, or proven teaching methods;
- To promote the development of longitudinal analysis of student progress, in addition to participation in the Colorado student assessment program, to measure pupil learning and achievement;
- To create new employment options and professional opportunities for teachers and principals, including the opportunity to be responsible for the achievement results of students at the school site;
- To provide parents and pupils with expanded choices in the types of education opportunities that are available within the public school system;
- To encourage parental and community involvement with public schools;
- To address the formation of research-based charter schools that use programs that are proven to be effective;
- To hold charter schools accountable for performance through the “Education Accountability Act of 2009”, including but not limited to meeting state, school district, and school targets for the measures used to determine the levels of attainment of the performance indicators;
- To provide an avenue for citizens to participate in the educational process and environment;
- To provide citizens with multiple avenues by which they can obtain authorization for a charter school.
27285 Brandon Circle Steamboat Springs, CO 80488
PO BOX 883141
Steamboat Springs, CO 80488